Saturday, May 22, 2010

Flagler College to host the next Whedonverse Conference


Just when I started to think Flagler College could never beat out SCAD for odd-ball events, they surprise me with this. Turns out Flagler will be this years host for the Fourth International Whedonverse Conference, a conference designed around famed writer, director, producer Joss Whedon (creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse).

Whedon has been a mover and shaker in the business of ground breaking television. Buffy was one of the first heroines who didn't have to dress in a skimpy outfit while contradicting herself with "girl power" slogans left and right (which is usually a big turn off for guys). That, along with Emmy gold episodes like Buffy's "Hush" and the Space Western Firefly made his stories and worlds something all aspiring artists and writers could gush over week after week on television.

I myself was highly inspired by Whedon's work while creating Flagler's Few. Often when I try to explain my book I say something along the lines of: "It's Buffy the Vampire Slayer meets Ghostbusters...in Saint Augustine..." I've also had the opportunity to meet George Jeanty, the comicbook artists responsible for "Season 8", even gave him a ghost tour while he was down in Savannah a few years back.

So it figures that the liberal arts college will host this event, and I'm sure it's going to be amazing. Sadly, Joss Whedon himself will probably not be in attendance, but the event will spotlight Flagler professors, guest speakers and seminars dealing with the creative writing styles, stories and character developments of some memorable Whedon fashion.

The event is open to the public, for more info go check it out here...

No comments: